What You Need To Know About Florida's 10-20-Life Law
Are You Being Investigated for or Have You Been Charged with a Violation of Florida's Strict Gun Laws?
If so, you need a firearms defense attorney who understands the rights afforded to you by the Second Amendment to the Constitution and our state's powerful gun laws. Under provisions to the Bill of Rights, individuals have the right to possess a firearm and citizens are allowed to use a weapon for lawful purposes, such as in self-defense. However, in 1999, the state legislature enacted a mandatory minimum sentencing law with regards to the use of a firearm during the commission of a forcible felony. Florida's 10/20/Life Law mandates minimum sentences for the presence, firing, or use of a gun during the commission of a crime.
Types of Weapons Offenses
At the Law Offices of Edwards & Jones, our criminal defense lawyers represent clients charged with serious weapons offenses such as:
- Unlawful Carrying of a Weapon
- Concealed Handgun Violations
- Use of a Weapon in Self-Defense
- Unlawful Discharge of a Firearm
- Illegal Sale of a Gun or Weapon
- Concealed Weapon in a Public Place
- Possession of a Prohibited Weapon
- Unlawful Trafficking of Firearms
- Possession of a Firearm by a Felon
- Weapons Use in Commission of a Crime
What are Florida’s 10/20/Life Gun Sentencing Laws?
Although our nation and our state give high regard to the right of an individual to own a firearm, the purpose of their gun laws is to ensure the weapon is owned and operated without endangerment to the community. Under Florida law:
- producing a firearm during certain felony crimes mandates a 10-year sentence;
- firing the gun mandates a 20-year sentence,
- and shooting someone during the commission of a felony mandates a minimum sentence of 25 years to life in prison.
Whether your gun violation is a standalone charge or part of a larger weapons prosecution, our attorneys can help you identify the right defense strategy for the best outcomes.
“It is my opinion that he is clearly one of the best lawyers in the city of Gainesville.”- Everette Sr.
“Mr. Edwards believed in us and took a chance, we will forever be in his debt.”- Colin
“He put his heart into that case.”- Jan