Gainesville Homicide Defense Attorneys
Working Quickly to Build a Solid Defense
If you have been accused of or charged with homicide, you have no time to waste. No other conviction results in more serious consequences than being found guilty of homicide.
At the Law Offices of Edwards & Jones, we offer relentless and results-driven representation to the criminally accused throughout North-Central Florida. We fight homicide charges aggressively, always pursuing a positive resolution.
The Difference between Murder & Manslaughter
Florida law defines homicide as the unlawful killing of a human being, but the law distinguishes between several types and degrees of murder and manslaughter. Intent separates murder from manslaughter. If you have been charged with murder, it is the prosecution’s burden to prove intent. However, if you have been charged with manslaughter, the prosecution only has to prove intentional or reckless negligence.
Degrees of Murder
A charge of first-degree murder means that law enforcement authorities suspect that a murder was either premeditated or done in the commission of a different felony. When a person kills another person while attempting to commit a different felony, Florida law treats the offense the same as premeditated murder. The punishment for first-degree murder is death or life in prison without the possibility of parole.
A charge of second-degree murder means that a person has committed murder with either a depraved mind or was an accomplice in a felony murder. Third-degree murder occurs when a person unintentionally kills another while committing a nonviolent felony.
Types of Manslaughter
Manslaughter occurs when someone commits an intentional act that was not excusable nor justified and the act results in the death of another person. There are four different types of manslaughter, and the penalties depend on the circumstances.
Protect Your Rights with an Experienced Murder Defense Attorney
When facing criminal charges, it is crucial to have a skilled and knowledgeable attorney by your side. At Law Offices of Edwards & Jones, our Gainesville murder defense attorneys have years of experience defending clients against a wide range of criminal charges. We understand that every case is unique, and we are committed to providing personalized and aggressive representation to protect your rights.
Why choose us for your criminal defenseneeds:
- Extensive experience: Our attorneys have a proven track record of success in handling various criminal cases, including but not limited to assault, drug offenses, theft, DUI, and more.
- Strategic defense: We will thoroughly investigate your case, gather evidence, and develop a strong defense strategy tailored to your specific circumstances. Our goal is to achieve the best possible outcome for your case.
- Personalized attention: We believe in open and honest communication with our clients. You can expect regular updates on the progress of your case and have all your questions answered promptly.
- Strong courtroom presence: Our attorneys are skilled litigators who are not afraid to fight for your rights in the courtroom. We will aggressively advocate for you and challenge the prosecution's case at every step.
- Compassionate support: We understand that facing criminal charges can be overwhelming and stressful. Our team is here to provide compassionate support and guidance throughout the entire legal process.
Don't leave your future to chance. Contact Law Offices of Edwards & Jones today to schedule a consultation with one of our experienced attorneys. We are ready to fight for you and protect your rights.
Dependable Homicide Defense
Even the least severe homicide charge could lead to years in jail and excessive fines. Without exception, the early hours after someone was killed are crucial to developing the best defense strategies. If you do not seek legal counsel, any conversations you have with investigators could be used against you in a court of law. Since the outcome of a murder trial can rely on a single fact, it is imperative that you seek legal counsel immediately.
When facing charges of murder or manslaughter, it is essential to have the legal guidance of an experienced criminal defense attorney who can improve your chances of having the case dismissed, obtaining a voluntary reduction of the charges, or receiving the shortest possible sentence. Our Gainesville homicide attorneys can immediately begin the meticulous process of investigating your case and will use the full power of the justice system to defend all allegations against you. In addition, our law firm has access to the best pathologists and expert witnesses for a detailed forensic reconstruction of the events leading up to the victim's death.
Acquitted at trial Aggravated Battery on Pregnant victim
Charges Dismissed Assault
Charges Dismissed Attempted Murder First Degree Premeditated
Charges Reduced To Misdemeanor Battery
Acquitted at Trial of all charges. Battery